Sweet and Sour Chicken Recipe
Sweet and sour chicken is one of the most popular Chinese recipes.
Chinese sweet and sour is a cooking style that is easy, delicious and everyone’s favorite.
Sweet and Sour Sauce
How do you make sweet and sour chicken sauce?
You will need the following simple ingredients to make the sauce:
- Chili sauce.
- Plum sauce.
- Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce.
- Chinese rice vinegar.
My recipe is healthy with no red food coloring in the sauce.
You can make the sweet sour sauce in advance, store in an air-tight container and keep in the refrigerator.
How to Make Sweet and Sour Chicken?
The recipe is easy and simple. First, cut the chicken into bite-sized cubes.
Then make the sweet and sour chicken batter and coat the chicken with the batter.
Next, deep fry the chicken and stir fry with the sweet sour sauce.
For the best sweet and sour chicken, please following my cooking tips below:
- The combination of plum sauce, Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce and Chinese rice vinegar make the sauce tastes like the best Chinese restaurants.
- DO NOT double the sauce. The sauce should lightly coat the chicken cubes so the chicken remain crispy and not soggy.
- Use baking powder in the batter. The baking powder makes the batter light and airy and the chicken will be extra crispy and crunchy.
- DO not use red coloring in the sauce.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Add Pineapple to the Recipe?
Yes, you sure can. Just opt out the tomatoes in the recipe and replace with pineapple.
You may use fresh pineapple or canned pineapple with syrup. If you use canned pineapple, remember to discard the syrup before cooking.
Cut the pineapple into bite-sizes pieces before cooking.
Can I Use Air Fryer to Fry the Chicken?
Yes, you can use air fryer. Just lightly coat the chicken with the batter and air fry in an air fryer.
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 162 calories per serving.
What to Serve with This Recipe?
Serve this dish with steamed rice or other rice and noodle dishes. For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
Sweet and Sour Chicken
Sweet and sour chicken is a popular Chinese recipe. This healthy and crispy sweet and sour chicken recipe is so delicious with sweet and sour sauce. It's better than takeout!
- 8 oz. boneless and skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size cubes
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine optional
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper seeded and cut into squares
- 1 small tomato cut into wedges, optional
- 1 stalk scallion cut into 2-inch lengths
- oil for deep frying
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons corn starch
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Sweet and Sour Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Lingham brand hot sauce or other chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon plum sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon corn starch
- 3 dashes white pepper powder
1Cut the chicken breast meat into bite-size cubes and marinate with 1 tablespoon of wine for 10 minutes. Mix the batter in a bowl and add the chicken cubes into the batter. Mix the Sweet and Sour sauce in a small bowl and set aside.
2Heat up cooking oil in a wok and deep fry the chicken cubes. (Shake off the extra batter before frying). Transfer the chicken out on a plate lined with paper towels to soak up the excess oil. Transfer the cooking oil out and leave only 2 tablespoons oil in the wok.
Add garlic and saute the garlic until light brown and then follow by the green bell peppers. Stir-fry until you smell the aroma. Add the sweet and sour sauce into the wok and bring it to boil.
Toss in the chicken, tomatoes and add the chopped scallions, do a few quick stirs, dish out and serve immediately with steamed white rice.
Watch the cooking video on this page for step-by-step guide.