Green Bean Casserole
This green bean casserole recipe pays tribute to the classic recipe, but takes it to a different level with the added ham and cheese.
This ham and cheese green bean casserole is creamy and cheesy and packed full of flavors and much better than any recipes I have tried. In fact, it’s THE BEST ever!
The green beans are not mushy and soggy, but stay fresh and crisp because they are not blanched beforehand.
Other Recipes You Might Like
How to Make Easy Green Bean Casserole?
This recipe is an easy recipe for any occasion and great for the holidays. With Thanksgiving coming up in a few weeks, I strongly urge you to try my recipe.
It will change your Thanksgiving green bean side dish forever. I guarantee you!
It’s very easy to make this dish and it takes only 20 minutes prep time.
First, you combine all the ingredients (cream of mushroom, half and half, garlic powder, salt, pepper, diced ham, onion, shredded cheese and French fried onions) together in a large bowl.
Then, you add the trimmed and cut fresh green beans. The green beans will cook in the oven for almost an hour so there is no reason to blanch them.
Pour the mixture into a buttered casserole dish and top with cheese.
Bake the green bean casserole for 40 minutes at 350°F and you will have the BEST tasting casserole green beans you have ever tasted!
What Are the Ingredients in Green Bean Casserole?
The classic ingredients in the nostalgic green bean casserole are all present and accounted for.
The addition of ham and cheese enhance the flavors.
- French green beans or haricots verts are thinner and more tender than regular green beans. They have a more robust flavor.
- Canned Cream of Mushroom Soup.
- Half and Half.
- Chopped onion, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Cooked and cubed ham.
- Shredded cheddar cheese.
- Store-bought crispy French fried onions.
What to Serve with Green Bean Casserole?
The casserole also goes well with:
- Mashed potatoes
- Sweet potatoes.
- Cranberry sauce.
- Homemade biscuits.
Cook’s Tips for the Best Thanksgiving Green Bean Casserole
- DO NOT BLANCH the green beans because there is no need to. Your green beans will have a crisp texture after baking, and not soggy and mushy. You will forever thank me for this cooking tip!
- Experiment with different kinds of cheese, like Gruyere or Monterey Jack.
- Use cream of chicken soup instead of cream of mushroom if some of your guests don’t like mushrooms.
- Be creative with different spices like Cajun seasoning, Old Bay, dry mustard or crushed red pepper.
- Step it up a notch and use Creme Fraiche and sautéed fresh mushrooms instead of canned cream of mushroom soup.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Make Ham and Cheese Green Bean Casserole Ahead of Time?
Yes, you can mix all ingredients together one day in advance. Cover with plastic wrap and store in fridge.
How Long Do Left Overs Last?
Always store left overs covered in the fridge for up to 5 days.
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 375 calories per serving.
Thanksgiving Recipe Ideas
For a festive Thanksgiving dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
Green Bean Casserole
Green Bean Casserole - easy and the BEST ham and cheese green bean casserole recipe from scratch for Thanksgiving holidays. This recipe feeds a large crowd.
- unsalted butter for greasing baking dish
- 1 lb. French green beans or haricots verts, trimmed and cut into 2-inch lengths
- 2 cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 lb. ham, diced
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups canned French fried onions
1Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C). Grease a 10x12-inch baking dish with butter.
2In a large bowl, whisk the soup, half and half, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Stir in the green beans, ham, onion, 2 cups of the cheddar cheese and 1 cup of the French fried onions.
3Pour the casserole mixture into the baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and bake until bubbling and crusty, about 50 minutes. Remove from oven and top the green bean casserole with the remaining 1/2 cup French fried onions. Serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from Cravings Cookbook.